Wednesday 16 December 2009

Tuesday 15th December, 2009

Trudge to the station, heading for random train, wondering what the new, improved, reduced service timetable has in store today. At least I don’t live in Harpenden where the improved reduced service timetable includes a half hour gap during peak time with no southbound train departures at all. In fact the new, improved, reduced service timetable has another surprise in store – a phantom train that appears in new, improved, reduced service timetable, but makes no appearance on the station departure boards, or physically.

Platform unusually crowded. Board random train and find a seat in the deregulated first class section (a first). I experience the unusual pleasure of an extra wide, extra padded filthy seat. Remind myself to check the first class prices at season ticket renewal time (just for a laugh).

Train proceeds at full speed. Standing room only from St Albans. Mild discomfort from Radlett. Unwanted intimacy from Elstree. At West Hampstead the driver announces that the train will definitely break down at Kentish Town. On balance I consider that FCC have made a good effort to get me to the outskirts of London for which I should be grateful, so I get off and complete the journey by tube & foot.

FCC have kindly published my question at the top of the Q&A list (a rather misguided adaptation of the LIFO policy, I feel). They include an excellent response that I am sure will be appreciated by all. As an accountant it warms my heart to know that, whatever the level of service they provide, their overriding concern is to make sure they collect their revenue.

I hit the national press, and something called twitter. Wife & children very excited. I’m pleased. Usually I’m just an embarrassment.

Travel home on the delayed something or other. Who cares? It got me there.


No comments:

Post a Comment