Sunday 28 March 2010

Friday 26th March 2010

I was delighted to receive an email from the FCC book club in response to my review of March's Book of the Month (see 22nd - 26th February 2010). Here's what they said:

"I think we both know that this is not really a review of the book and more of a request for a free book. Which is a shame as having read your blog you clearly like writing and your review could have been so much better.

On this occasion we will send you a free copy of Deception, another title by Jonathan Kellerman. Perhaps next month you will put your talents to better use and write a proper review of April’s Book of the Month and earn your free copy of a book.

Enjoy you free book and next month’s book of the month.
Regards
FCC Book Club

P.s. Don't forget to update your blog, which by the way is factually inaccurate but then I guess it would not have been as amusing had you had your facts straight."

Top marks to them for responding, and for displaying a sense of humour as well. Who'd have thought it?

Apologies for the recent lack of blog updates. It had become increasingly difficult to find new things to write about trains, but I had also started to exhibit some worrying symptoms such as a hankering for an old anorak, thick facial hair, a pair of coke bottle specs and a spiral bound notebook. Clearly it was time for a break before I found myself standing on the end of a platform on a Saturday morning. Perhaps it will be temporary, perhaps permanent, but in either case, thanks for reading.

3 comments:

  1. Is this for real?! You seriously got an email from First Capital Connect - in a professional capacity - which reads as above?!

    If so, I think this marks a new low in FCC Customer Services!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure did, but in fairness they were quite right about the review, and I was quite pleased to receive something that I found, and I think they intended to be, genuinely amusing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with Ron on this one. It's nice to see somebody at FCC with a sense of humour- certainly beats machine-generated non responses to complaints (which don't answer the complaints). I was also pleased to see that they are reading what people are writing about them. Shame they can't run a railway service competently and rip-off their customers with astronomically expensive and poorly maintained trains, car parks etc but Rome wasn't built in a day....

    ReplyDelete